Whenever and wherever you venture out onto the roadways, your eyes must be in constant movement. You need to look in a 360-degree visual field constantly. You must know what is going on at your sides, in front and back of you at all times when riding your bicycle.
It would be best to decide that there are many crazy and negligent drivers sharing the roads with you when deciding to go for a bike ride. You not only must adhere to the laws of the road but hope that all the other drivers are as conscious of the laws. Not all drivers practice safe driving. It is dangerous on the roadways driving your car. However, your chances for an accident are more significant when you take to the road on your bicycle. If you were hurt in an accident, a reliable personal injury lawyer will assist you.
Since you must be ever mindful of other drivers around you, we have some safety tips to help protect you from distracted drivers. These tips may help save your life.
- The primary thing for you to do is always remain calm, cool, and collected.
- Riding your bicycle for fun or to a specific destination is eco-friendly. Biking helps to improve your overall health through exercise and increases circulation. Biking gives you a great cardiovascular workout. No matter what the reason is you ride your bicycle, safety is your number one concern.
Biking accidents occur for different reasons such as but not limited to,
- Driver impairment
- Driver distraction
- Failing to adhere to traffic laws
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Unsafe lane changing
- Cell phone use and texting by drivers
- Driving off the side of the road or over the center lane
Safety Tips for Bikers
- Obey the traffic laws. You are as responsible for these laws as a driver in any vehicle on the road.
- Never bicycle going towards the traffic. Bike in the same direction as the traffic and as far to the right side of the road as possible.
- Wear bright-colored clothing when biking or wear a reflector vest. Put reflector strips on your bicycle and make sure your front and backlights work. Make yourself visible to drivers.
- Bicyclists can also become distracted. Avoid all distractions. If you need to use your cell phone pull your bicycle as far off the road as possible.
- Avoid using earplugs, earphones, and earbuds.
- Never drink alcohol or use drugs before or during your ride. Substances of this nature can interfere with your balance, reaction, and judgment. Be cautious of using certain prescription drugs and adhere to any warning labels.
- Keep your bicycle well-maintained, especially your breaks. Randomly check the lights, reflectors, chains, tires, and handlebars. Never ride your bike if it is too big or too small for you to ride safely.
- Do not ride on the sidewalks because this is hazardous to those walking.
- Always ride your bicycle in bike lanes when present.
- Just as drivers must keep both hands on the wheel of their car, you need to keep both hands on the handlebars. Never show off by riding with your hands of the handlebars.
- Always wear a comfortable, correctly fitting helmet.
- Always pay attention to your surroundings on and off the road.
- Be mindful of driveways where cars are backing out, intersections with stoplights, turning cars, and pedestrians crossing the street.
- Always remain on high alert and be prepared to meet any emergency should one arise.
A Call to Action for Accidents, Injuries, and Death While Bicycling
We are an experienced and seasoned law firm that handles negligent accidents, injuries, and death cases in Portland, Oregon. Bicycling on the roadways means that you are responsible for your safety and that of those around you. By following a few of these safety tips, you are assured of safely reaching your destination and of having fun biking.
If your injuries occurred due to a negligent driver’s actions while riding your bicycle, please give us a call as soon as possible. Accidents of this type occur all too frequently to bicyclists. Your injuries see mounting medical bills and perhaps time off work depending on your injuries.
Have your doctors told you that you could never work again or return to your present job due to your injuries?
Rarely do victims of negligent drivers have the funds to pay for mounting medical bills and all the costs associated with your accident. We can calculate your past, present, and future expenses stemming from your accident.
Families, please give our wrongful death lawyer a call if your loved one died in an accident while riding their bicycle on the roadways. Negligence needs compensation. We can help you through this horrible situation, and any settlement we win enables you to pay the victim’s medical bills, funeral costs, and outstanding debts. We must bring a negligent driver to justice.