Mental health is too mainstream, with people getting more aware of protecting it. It is the prime part of your overall well-being. It enables you to act per the norms; emotionally, socially, and psychologically. It is essential to protect mental health because it dictates every aspect of your life.
The recent global economic meltdowns and changed social patterns have stretched the graph of mental health problems. Everyday people are victimised by mental illness. The need to take your mental health priorities into your own hands is growing day by day.
Common Mental Health Problems
The list of mental disorders is long. The latest version of DSM-5-TR (The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition, Text Revision) published in March 2022 has listed more than 250 mental disorders. The following are the most common disorders.
- Drug Abuse
- Mood Disorders
- Eating Disorders
- Behavioural Disorders
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
Benefits of Maintaining Good Mental Health
Good mental health can help you
- Stay motivated
- Manage daily stress
- Enhance productivity
- Contribute to community
- Achieve maximum potential
- Exhibit a positive sense of self
- Preserve a healthy and active lifestyle
- Sustain healthy and productive relationships
Why is it Important to Maintain Good Mental Health?
Mental health is linked with every aspect of life. It affects the way we feel, think, and act. Good mental health enables us to handle stressful situations effectively, link with others compassionately, and make choices wisely. It promotes overall well-being.
Any issue with mental health will crumble the world around you. It will affect you as well as the people around you. Poor mental health can deteriorate your physical health as well. So, it becomes vital to protect your mental health.
Is It Easy?
The most important part is identifying the problem. If you are done with that part, everything will become easy. It has become even easier with online apps like Yours App. It is like a pocket mental health professional, available everywhere and always. You have to take a few minutes from your busy routine and follow the instructions provided by the app, and you are good to go.
Easy Habits to Protect Mental Health
Unfortunately, people with mental issues are looked down upon. There is a significant stigma attached to everything related to mental health. However, you can always maintain the following easy habits to protect your mental health.
- Keep a journal to track gratitude and achievements. Write 2 of your blessings and 2 goals to achieve every day.
- Go on a vacation. Planning and going on a trip can boost your happiness for almost two months.
- Build self-confidence. Before doing something difficult, do something you are good at to boost your confidence.
- Sleep at a cool temperature. Keep the thermostat at 60 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit for optimum sleeping.
- Cook something. Get your apron on and cook your favourite recipe.
- Take a warm bath every week. A warm bath can alleviate aches and uplift mood.
- Visit tourist spots in your city. Becoming a tourist doesn’t require you to travel. You can always take a day off and tour your city.
- Smile. It is the easiest way to lower your blood pressure and stay calm.
- Take a walk in the wilderness. A 30 minutes stroll in the park or a hike in the wild can boost your energy level and reduce stress.
- Spend time with friends and family. Research shows that people feel happier when they spend time with friends and family.
Daily Dose of Mindfulness
Mindfulness can be easily practised by paying attention to four functions of our body; sensations, emotions, thoughts, and actions. Experiences obtained from these functions can be pleasant, unpleasant, or outright painful. Mindfulness teaches us to keep a wiser and compassionate outlook instead of reacting to these experiences.
Nobody can deny the benefits of mindfulness meditation. But it is hard to follow it daily. You can maintain a healthy routine of mindfulness with the following tips.
- Find like-minded people to practice meditation together. It will make you adhere to your daily routine and provide you support in the form of understanding that you are not alone in tackling these problems.
- Notice the little triggers to interrupt the autopilot. It can be the food you eat, the fragrance you smell, or a song you listen to.
- Acknowledge your thoughts. Mindfulness is not about keeping your thoughts away but seeing them as mental events.
- Regular practice of mindfulness is the key to mental health. However, regularly does not mean at the same time every day. It means every day whenever you find the time.
- Don’t let the past and future interrupt your mental peace. These are the main factors of anxiety and stress. Keep them at arm’s length.
Mental health is a complex phenomenon, and if you find it tough to manage it all by yourself, it is recommended to seek professional help.
You may be wondering how you can protect your mental health? First, you need to realise that help is available. There are unlimited meditation apps available for smartphones.
Yours App is one of the best online apps to promote good mental health. It is designed by highly trained mental health professionals to help you protect and take control of your life.