There is an increasing buzz surrounding ferulic acid being an excellent anti-ageing skin ingredient. It is proven to be highly effective in preventing the causes of premature ageing by protecting the skin from harsh elements. Let’s take a closer look at ferulic acid — its primary functions, benefits, and how it delivers outstanding results with regular use.
So, what is ferulic acid?
Ferulic acid belongs to the hydroxycinnamic acid group, an antioxidant present in fruits, vegetables, grains, and certain grasses. Ferulic acid can be found in many food items, such as bananas, broccoli, and bamboo shoots, to name a few. After the discovery of its many skin benefits, ferulic acid is now a key ingredient in many skincare products.
- Protects the skin from external stressors. The potent antioxidant properties of skincare products that contain ferulic acid, such as SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic, protect the skin against environmental stressors. As skin ageing is primarily caused by dirt, dust, ultraviolet rays, and pollutants, ferulic acid reduces the adverse effects of external stressors on the skin.
- Boosts the effects of vitamins C and E. Ferulic acid is proven to boost the benefits of vitamins C and E on the skin. While vitamins C and E can produce anti-ageing benefits on their own, the addition of ferulic acid to the equation optimises their benefits. Based on studies, ferulic acid can help boost the ability of vitamins C and E to fight free radicals and external stressors. This is especially beneficial for individuals who spend extended periods outdoors.
- Has a calming effect. Ferulic acid calms and soothes the skin while it does an excellent job of protecting the skin from harsh elements.
- Tightens the skin. With regular use, ferulic acid application delivers a firming and tightening effect leading to a visibly youthful and revitalised appearance.
- Improves skin complexion. Incorporating ferulic acid into your daily skincare routine can lead to a healthy-looking complexion, as it reduces the appearance of ageing spots, blemishes, and redness.
- Increases skin luminosity. Ferulic acid boosts the brightening effects of vitamins C and E, leaving your skin clear and luminous.
- Slows down premature ageing. It’s never too early to include ferulic acid into your skincare regime. If you’re in your 20s or 30s, adding ferulic acid will slow down the skin ageing process. It thoroughly protects the skin from damage caused by external stressors and free radical proliferation.
- Improves skin clarity. The high antioxidant content of ferulic acid helps in tightening pores. This means that dirt, dust, and other pollutants, which are all responsible for oiliness and acne formation — are less likely to clog your pores.
- Hydrates dry skin. Skin ravaged by external stressors such as pollutants can leave it looking dull and lifeless. Including ferulic acid as part of your nighttime routine will eliminate dullness and leave your skin glowing.
Ferulic acid is an outstanding compound that offers many skin benefits. When picking out a skincare serum that contains ferulic acid, make sure to do your due diligence and pick a manufacturer that adheres to the highest quality standards to guarantee superior results.