While the health benefits of carbs and fats might still be a controversial topic, everyone agrees that proteins are essential to lead a healthy life. A well-known dietician and chef points to the fact that since our bodies don’t store protein, you need to consume protein on an everyday basis.
As per the studies, daily protein intake plays a crucial role in keeping you in good shape and healthy. Most people try to go with the thinking that “eat enough protein to prevent deficiency.” However, some individuals might not do better if they consume just enough protein in their everyday diet.
Besides being required to keep the tissues of your bones, skin, and hair functional, protein also plays a critical part in fueling your body with energy and fighting off infections. Indeed, many of you might not even know the amount of protein that you require for the proper functioning of your body.
So, first of all, let’s break it down for you.
As per various studies, adults require 0.8g of protein per kilogram of body weight every day. To help you understand this better, let’s take a look at an example. If you are a 180lb man, you must intake at least 65 grams of protein per day.
Similarly, if you are feeding your child, you’ll require 20 grams more protein per day compared to what it needs to be in usual cases. To know more about the amount of protein, you can click here and get the desired recommendations accordingly.
How to get the required amount of proteins?
Many of us are like, “I eat a well-balanced diet. I am getting enough protein.” Well! It’s good that you are aware of your healthy portions. But, whole foods do not always offer equal nutrition. So, you need to depend on natural nutrition supplements to replenish your body with the right amount of nutrients.
Then, how to choose the best protein powder/ supplement for yourself? Keep reading, and you’ll find out now!
Protein Powder/Supplements to Ensure You Nourish Your Body
You can use protein powders for a multitude of reasons besides replenishing your body with the required amount of protein. For instance, it helps to lose weight, improve sports performance and overall general well-being.
But since the options in the market are endless, decoding what’s best for you might get a little challenging. So, let’s unravel the types of protein available in the market.
- Whey protein is one of the most commonly used products if you are thinking about day-to-day usage. It will provide you with all the essential amino acids and is highly digestible. Not only that, it will help you to boost energy levels and reduce stress levels.
- Vegan protein is a type of protein that’s suitable for people who look for dairy-free options. While plant proteins are usually inadequate, but when you include them with your daily protein intakes, such as beans and rice, you’ll eventually get the right amount of protein.
- Soy protein is another choice that’s preferred by many. It also helps people with cholesterol. Some studies even show its benefits in easing menopause symptoms. Not only that, it might even allow you to build bone mass.
So, what type of protein powder should you choose to match your needs?
Matching The Type of Protein to Meet Your Desired Outcome
Follow the general guidelines mentioned below to achieve your desired results.
- If you want to go for muscle growth, choose the one with a higher biological value. Ideally, whey protein powders work well in this case.
- If you are interested in losing weight, choose shakes with no added dextrins. Avoid the options with added BCAAs as they might cause weight or muscle gain.
- If you wish to stay vegan, soy protein will work for you.
- If you want to improve your metabolism or improve your digestion, vegan protein will work. Not only if you want to boost your cardiovascular health, but this protein type will also help you.
Here are a few things that you must consider to get the most from your protein powder.
- If you want to recover after an exercise, you must consume protein in around 60 minutes of the workout. That’s the best time when your muscles would consume protein for the purpose of repair and growth.
- But if you are into some endurance training, try combining protein with a source of carbs during and after exercise. It will help to improve your performance and recovery soreness.
- If you want to lose weight using protein-rich supplements, you must go for a steady supply with each meal to keep yourself full.
While it might be different for everyone, you must aim for at least 3 ounces or 20grams of protein per meal.
And guess what, you don’t have to go all bland if you wish to add protein to your daily diet. Since every protein powder comes with a unique taste, you can use flavor enhancers or go for flavored protein powder products, such as vanilla or chocolate, to help you produce a milkshake-like texture.
Without a doubt, proteins are building blocks of life. In fact, not just bodybuilders or athletes. It holds importance for everyone. This doesn’t mean that you start drinking protein shakes right away. You need to understand your body’s requirements and then create a plan to fit the protein needs appropriately.
Remember, protein is a component that practically every cell process in your body requires. Right from playing a part in metabolic processes, it also has a role to play in immune responses, energy production, and repair.
However, remember that the final results depend on your body uses, age, sex, body weight, activity levels, health conditions, and other factors. So, if you are not getting results now, it might gradually start showing.
So, patience is the key! Also, don’t forget to choose high-quality protein for better results. Otherwise, you might not achieve the desired outcomes.