Tattoo removal is becoming more advanced, making it easier for those of us with unwanted tattoos to get rid of them for good – you’re no longer stuck with them for life! A laser tattoo removal is the safest and most effective way to get rid of tattoos that haven’t stood the test of time, but it can make some anxious, especially if you’re not sure what to expect. Read on as we look at how you can mentally prepare yourself for your tattoo removal.
Maybe you’ve decided that tattoo removal is going to be the best option for you. There are a few things to keep in mind throughout the process that can help you to prepare for the procedure itself, and how successful it will be, such as:
- Age of tattoo: The older your tattoo is, the harder it will be to remove. This is because, over time, ink particles sink into the skin and are harder to be removed by a laser. If your tattoo is relatively new, you will be more successful.
- Colour: Some colours take longer to fade than others, and you may not think it, but black is actually one of the easiest ones to get rid of! Some lasers find it hard to remove bright colours, but advancing technology is making this easier.
- Size: It will take longer to remove a larger tattoo. This is because of the amount of ink that the artist will have used to create the piece. If your tattoo is only small, it may only take a couple of sessions to remove.
- No quick fix: Unfortunately, getting a tattoo removed can take time, especially if it is a bigger piece. You may be looking at a block of sessions to fully remove your tattoo – during your consultation, your practitioner will be able to tell you how many sessions they think you’ll need.
- Cost: This all depends on how many sessions you need for your tattoo to be removed. You should consider this before deciding whether tattoo removal is for you. Although it is worth it, you should bear in mind that you may need a few sessions for it to be a success.
Choose your clinic
You should choose a clinic or studio that is professional and comfortable – they will be able to reassure you throughout the process and you will be sure that you are getting the best treatment for successful results. Doing your research online means you can find high-quality tattoo removal – you should look at before and after photos so that you’ll have an idea of what to expect. You should also do your research on the practitioner that will be carrying out the procedure, choosing someone that is experienced will ensure the best results, and the best treatment and service – so you don’t have to worry!
Maybe you’ve heard stories about tattoo removal and how painful the procedure is. It can be an uncomfortable experience, however choosing a trusted clinician that is experienced, and uses the highest quality technology means you’re less likely to feel pain during and after.
If you are worried about the sensation, and it is putting you off going through the procedure, you can take over-the-counter painkillers before you attend your appointment. You will also be offered numbing cream and a soothing, cooling gel afterwards. Some people say that it is no more painful than a rubber band being snapped against your skin. If you have a few sessions, the pain tends to be less as there is less ink to be removed.
The best results
You will need to prepare your body as well as your mind for your tattoo removal to ensure that you’ll benefit from the best results. You should make sure that you stay hydrated so that your system can remove the ink particles that are broken down successfully and eat a healthy diet to give your immune system a boost when you need it most. If you’re a smoker, you should try and stop in time for your removal, smoking prevents the skin from healing effectively, and may have an impact on how well the removal works. After the procedure, you should protect the area from anything that may irritate it – keeping it clean and dry will help the process.
Researching and getting to know a little bit more about the removal process can help you to understand and prepare for it – knowing that you have chosen a practitioner that is good at their job and uses the most up-to-date technology means you can put your mind at ease.