Five Foods Dogs Should Avoid

happy dogs doing things

When was the last time you had a look in your dog’s mouth? Did you know that pale gums in dogs can be a sign of certain illnesses? Their gums can tell you a lot about their health, and a change of color in them could be a result of them eating something they shouldn’t have. 

While we love to share food with our little pets as it makes them so happy, there are certain foods that they should, under no circumstances, be eating. 

This article is going to go over 5 foods that you should never feed your dog. While these are normally delicious for humans, they may be toxic to your little pet, so it is very important to be aware of them. 


This is one of the most well-known no-nos when it comes to foods you shouldn’t feed your dog. 

Chocolate has a high theobromine content, and dogs aren’t able to metabolize this properly, making this very toxic to dogs. 

If your dog has accidentally consumed chocolate, it should be monitored closely and taken to your local vet. 

Consuming chocolate can cause your dog to vomit, have diarrhea, and become unusually thirsty. In extreme cases, it can cause seizures, tremors, and abnormal heart rhythms. Therefore, as mentioned above, they should be taken to the vet if you fear they have eaten chocolate. 

Garlic And Onions

While garlic and onion are what give human food its delicious flavor, they should not be eaten by dogs. 

If consumed by dogs, they can destroy their red blood cells, leading to anemia. A small dose of them may not cause too much harm, but poisoning can happen if consumed in large quantities or if consumed often. 

If your dog consumes either of these foods, they may begin vomiting, having shortness of breath, and a reduced appetite. 

Dairy Products

While many people enjoy slipping their dog a small piece of cheese, they aren’t as capable as humans to process dairy products. 

lone dog

The reason behind this is they don’t have the enzyme needed to break down milk and sugar, and although some dogs can handle dairy products better than others, they should be treated as though they are lactose intolerant. 

Consuming dairy could lead to symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, and other gastrointestinal problems. 

In severe cases, the high-fat content of dairy can also lead to pancreatitis, as can fatty meats. Therefore, it’s best to save your favorite cheeses and ice-creams for yourself!

Grapes And Raisins

While your pup has probably already sneaked their way into munching on these foods, you should hide them away from their reach, as they really aren’t good for them. 

Grapes and raisins can cause renal failure in pooches, eventually leading to the shutting down of their kidneys. 

This can cause vomiting and lethargy, and in severe cases, death. Therefore, it is crucial that you keep grapes and raisins far away from your dog, and if you fear they have sneakily eaten some, you should take them to the vet immediately. 

Candy, Gum, Peanut Butter, And Baked Goods

These sweet treats are probably very appealing to your dog, but they contain xylitol. If these items are consumed by your furry friend, it can lead to a surge of insulin that makes its way through your dog’s body and can drop your dog’s sugar levels and cause liver failure. 

If this happens, they may experience a number of symptoms such as vomiting, lethargy, seizures, and eventually death in serious cases. 

Therefore, you must ensure that these sweet treats are kept far away from your pet. However, some of these items, such as peanut butter, may not contain xylitol, so if you do want to share these items with your dog, always check the label. If it doesn’t contain xylitol, they should be okay! 

Final Thoughts 

While it is very tempting to share our meals with our pooches, especially when they look up at you with their puppy dog eyes, you should always think twice about feeding them human food. 

While a lot of it is safe for them to eat, there are a few that should be avoided, as they can cause serious illnesses in dogs, and can eventually lead to death. While this article has covered 5 foods, there are more they should stay clear of, so you should always do your research!

We hope this article has provided you with some useful information on why should you avoid feeding them certain foods. Knowing what they can and can’t eat will help keep your little family member strong, healthy, and happy!