Traumatic Brain Injuries can be devastating for the victim and their loved ones. Suffering from a brain injury can completely change an injured person’s life – memory loss, problems in speech, income loss, deteriorated quality of life, loss of family relationships, huge medical expenses, emotional trauma, and so on. These injuries are some of the most common and can happen due to a road accident, slip & fall, sports injury, etc.
Unlike broken bones or fractures, which cause immediate pain, brain injuries are not prominently visible right away. Sometimes, it may even take up to a few weeks to notice any signs of brain injuries. In fact, many brain injuries cannot be diagnosed without special neurological tests. Given the sensitive nature of brain injuries, a brain injury attorney has a special duty of care and responsibility towards the victim and their family members.
Duty Of Care Of A TBI Lawyer
A traumatic brain injury lawyer not only helps clients recover fair settlement amounts but also acts as a strong emotional support system throughout the legal process. TBI can take a severe toll on the victim, both emotionally and physically. Experienced TBI lawyers understand the emotional state of the injured person, keep in touch with their doctors and handle their case with compassion.
Experience Is Key
- When choosing the right attorney for your TBI Case, it’s essential to keep their experience in mind. Ask them about their expertise, details of similar cases they have handled in the past, and the jurisdiction area. Local laws change across states, so you need a TBI lawyer who knows the various statute of limitations and other federal laws applicable in your area. For example, per the statute of limitation in Florida, the victim has up to 3 years to make a claim in court. Now, a TBI lawyer in FL will be more knowledgeable about statutes of limitations in Florida than a TBI lawyer in California.
- An experienced lawyer also understands that brain injuries can have long-term implications for the injured person and their loved ones. They are also aware of the long-term medical expenses and how they can affect other areas of their life. While calculating the settlement amount, an experienced lawyer keeps all these factors in mind.
- Moreover, TBI lawyers with relevant experience can take your case to court whenever required.
Benefits Of Hiring A TBI Lawyer Early On In Your Case
1) Supports The Family Members
The families of brain injury victims often suffer emotionally and financially. Suddenly they have to watch their loved one struggle with an unfamiliar painful situation that affects every aspect of their lives. Additionally, if the victim cannot return to work, it can also put the family’s economic stability at risk. At this crucial time, they need support at every stage, from dealing with the insurance agencies, talking to doctors, gathering evidence against the defendant, etc. TBI lawyers are aware of this stress and are always available to the family members to provide them with the legal understanding and the steps to be taken.
2) Brain Injury Cases Need Long-Term Legal Assistance
Brain injuries do not simply go away with time and have major long-term consequences. Chronic brain injuries can significantly impact a patient’s quality of life. Although many people do recover from brain injuries, full recovery is uncommon. That’s why such cases need consistent assistance from the TBI Lawyers.
3) Help Injured Victims In Decision Making
Brain injury victims sometimes have difficulty making analytical decisions. This, combined with the stress of dealing with insurance companies and doctors, can make everyday life very difficult. Lawyers can help in smooth communication with insurers and other legal professionals.
Most successful TBI Lawyers, such as Florida brain injury attorneys at Schrier Law Group, offer a free initial consultation. It’s best to talk to their seasoned lawyers and understand where your case stands and how to recover the maximum settlement amount.