Suffering from post-indulgence guilt? Before you start on a detox diet and check out detox tea reviews, let’s do a little digging about these detox drinks and superfoods that claim a range of health benefits.
What is the Detox hype all about?
Detox, short for detoxification, is a term that was first used exclusively in medicine to pertain to methods of kicking habits. To be particular, alcohol or drug addiction. Most recently, however, the term became more of a buzzword.
Products with detoxifying and cleansing properties claim to rid the body of toxins accumulated from various causes. To cite examples, unhealthy eating, bad habits, and even the environment.
When these products are advertised, the terms “all-natural,” “organic,” and “healthier alternatives” almost always follow. Couple these with an endorsement from celebrities with a huge social media following; it’s no wonder that these products that promise a range of health benefits immediately shot to fame.
Different Types of Detox
The body has its own natural way of removing toxins that may have built up in the body. This is primarily the job of the liver and kidneys.
However, these organs tend to function poorly due to poor diet and other factors. This is where detoxifying products and programs come in helpful.
Some of the most common types of detox are juice fasting or juice cleansers, vegan eating plans, liquid cleaners, food restrictions, and supplements. Among these, drinking detox teas is one of today’s most trending detox programs.
The Detox Process
When you have decided to go on a detox diet or drink detox teas, it is important that you also make some lifestyle adjustments. Your goal is to rid your body of harmful toxins. Therefore, you have to avoid anything that may cause toxic buildup for best results.
Going cold turkey on sugar or saturated fats may be ideal; however, it is difficult and impossible. Plus, it will make the detox process more stressful and less rewarding for you. Determine your goals and come up with a realistic plan to achieve them. Instead of eating a pack of chips a day, do it every other day. For those days that you will not eat chips, substitute chips with your chosen detox tea.
Signs and Symptoms of Detoxification
Any discomfort during the process is all part of the process and is perfectly normal. These are five of the most common signs and symptoms that your body is gradually adjusting to your healthier lifestyle:
- Skin breakouts. This is a detox symptom often reported by those who made sudden changes in their diet. Often, these are people who switch to a vegan diet. Starting on natural skincare products and increasing water intake should fix this concern.
- Digestive problems. Gas and bloating are common in individuals who start consuming high amounts of green smoothies regularly. It would be better to add variety to your detox diet if this happens. Constipation and diarrhea may also happen, but these usually subside within a couple of days.
- Low energy levels. People that cut back on sugar or caffeine intake usually experience having low energy levels. This could also happen to individuals that go on a fruit-restricted diet.
- Cravings. People experience cravings since their bodies are still getting used to getting less sugar, caffeine, saturated fat, etc. Thankfully, this should not persist beyond a couple of weeks.
Detox Teas 101
People have been consuming tea for centuries due to its medicinal properties. Long-term research of professionals at Harvard gathered evidence that associates tea with better health.
Detox teas, sometimes referred to as “teatox,” are drinks that claim to do wonders. These include boosting energy levels, cleansing organs, suppressing appetite, strengthening the immune system, and even reducing weight.
The key lies in the ingredients. Detox tea products contain various herbs, which are natural remedies for certain conditions, medications, and caffeine. Many personalities promote detox teas. Whether or not they truly use them, no one can really tell. However, regular people also attest to their positive effects.
Taking as an example is the two-week experiment of an editor from PopSugar. Just within two days of drinking detox teas, she immediately felt “a calm boost of energy.” Throughout the experiment, she received compliments about her skin, noticed better digestion, and felt less bloating.
Alleviating the Signs and Symptoms of Detoxing
The pursuit of better health may be uncomfortable, but it is manageable. To cope with the signs and symptoms of detoxing, remember the following:
- Drink plenty of water to help your body flush out all the toxins. This will also help prevent you from becoming dehydrated should you experience gastrointestinal problems.
- Take warm showers to help relax your muscles. Remember to scrub your skin as well. Toxins may be flushed out through sweat, and you do not want any of that staying on your skin too long.
- Practice deep breathing techniques or meditate to take your mind off cravings and negative emotions sudden changes in your lifestyle may cause.
Whatever you decide, remember that any detox program should not be treated as a one-size-fits-all solution to better health. Living an active and balanced life is still most ideal.
No matter how enticing people’s feedback is with any of these detox programs and products, you must still take those with a grain of salt. Talk to your physician to determine what is better for you.