When considering breast enhancement, it’s essential to understand that breast augmentation and breast implants are not the same thing. Breast augmentation refers to the surgical procedure, while breast implants are the devices used in that procedure. Knowing the differences between the two can help you make an informed decision about your breast enhancement journey. This guide delves into the five major distinctions that set them apart.
1. The Procedure
- Breast Augmentation: Breast augmentation, also known as augmentation mammoplasty, is a surgical procedure aimed at increasing breast size or restoring breast volume. During this procedure, a surgeon makes incisions, creates pockets in the breast tissue or under the chest muscles, and then inserts breast implants.
- Implants: Breast implants, on the other hand, are medical devices specifically designed for breast enhancement. They come in various shapes, sizes, and materials, including saline and silicone. These implants are inserted into the breasts during the breast augmentation surgery.
2. The Purpose
- Breast Augmentation: The primary goal of breast augmentation surgery is to change the size, shape, and overall appearance of the breasts. Women often choose breast augmentation to enhance their natural breast size, restore volume after pregnancy or weight loss, or achieve a more proportionate figure.
- Implants: Breast implants serve as the tools used to achieve the desired results in breast augmentation. They are selected based on the patient’s aesthetic goals and body type. Implants can vary in size, profile, and texture, allowing for customization to meet individual preferences.
3. Implant Options
- Breast Augmentation: In a breast augmentation procedure, patients have the option to choose between saline or silicone implants. Saline implants are filled with sterile saltwater and can be adjusted after placement. Silicone implants are filled with a cohesive silicone gel and offer a more natural feel.
- Implants: Breast implants themselves are available in various shapes and profiles. Round implants provide fullness evenly across the breast, while teardrop or anatomical implants mimic the natural slope of the breast for a subtle enhancement. The choice of implant type and profile is discussed during the consultation with the surgeon.
4. Procedure Customization
- Breast Augmentation: Breast augmentation procedures can be tailored to meet the specific needs and desires of each patient. Surgeons can adjust the size of the implants, the incision placement, and the implant positioning to achieve the desired results. The surgical approach can vary, with options such as subglandular (above the muscle) or submuscular (under the muscle) placement.
- Implants: Breast implants themselves are pre-manufactured and chosen based on the patient’s preferences and the surgeon’s recommendations. While customization is possible to a certain extent, the core attributes of the implants, such as size and material, are predetermined.
5. Consultation and Expertise
- Breast Augmentation: When considering breast augmentation, consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast enhancement procedures is crucial because their expertise ensures that the surgical process is safe, tailored to your specific needs, and capable of delivering the desired results. The surgeon will assess your individual anatomy, discuss your goals, and provide personalized recommendations to achieve the desired outcome. For instance, if you are in Kansas City, seeking out a reputable specialist that offers breast augmentation in Kansas City is essential for a successful procedure.
- Implants: While breast implants are an integral part of breast augmentation, the focus during the consultation is primarily on the patient’s goals, desired outcomes, and the surgical plan. The expertise of the surgeon plays a significant role in guiding implant selection and placement to ensure a natural and balanced result.
Choosing the Right Size and Type
Selecting the appropriate size and type of breast enhancement is a crucial decision in your journey to achieving your desired look. It’s not just about increasing your cup size; it’s about enhancing your overall body proportion and achieving a natural and harmonious appearance. To make the right choice, consider factors such as your body frame, lifestyle, and personal preferences. It’s vital to have a detailed discussion with your board-certified plastic surgeon, who can guide you through the options available, including silicone and saline implants, as well as various profiles and shapes.
In the realm of breast enhancement, it’s vital to distinguish between breast augmentation and breast implants to make informed decisions for yourself. Breast augmentation is the surgical procedure that aims to enhance the size and shape of the breasts, while breast implants are the devices used to achieve those results. By understanding the purpose, options, and customization involved in each, you can embark on your breast enhancement journey with confidence, knowing what to expect and what suits your individual needs.